Friday, April 4, 2008

Paris - May 8th,1994 - Book 1



My first post is one of my favorite spreads in all of my sketchbooks. During this time I was getting hooked on courier flights to Europe. Basically I would call a courier agency and find out about greatly discounted flights going out in the next couple days. In return for traveling very last minute (usually a day's notice) and with only carry-on, you could get a flight to Europe for maybe $99 round-trip for a week or two. You would be surrendering your luggage space for business correspondence, which required someone to physically fill a seat. I visited several countries by myself this way.

The sketch is of Sainte Chapelle from the 13th Century, near Notre Dame, I believe. The photo I took at the Jardin des Tuileries. The sailboat, the blue skies, the ladybug backpack, and the laidback attitude of the mother and child really encapulated the pleasant tone of the week.

This was my first trip to Paris, alone. It was the first gorgeous sunny week of the year, so I experienced none of the surliness directed towards tourists I kept hearing about. All the French waiters were very friendly. But then I wasn't wearing white sneakers and a fanny pack either.
The week I was there, although traveling alone, I bumped into women I knew on three different occasions: two people from RISD and one commercial producer from New York. The karma was in full effect on this trip. I pretty much had something to do or some place to go in the company of an attractive woman the whole week. Ooh, la, la.

No comments: