Friday, April 4, 2008

Switzerland, August 1993



In 1993, two years out of school, I was living in NYC with two friends from RISD. One roommate, Sibylle, was flying home to Switzerland for a few weeks before starting Columbia grad school, and my other roommate, Elizabeth, was already in Venice for a summer program as part of her NYU graduate studies in painting. Having never left the country I was suddenly feeling very, very provincial. I decided I was missing out on something and planned to visit several friends in Europe, starting with Sibylle in Switzerland, then Elizabeth in Venice, and finally my friend Andrea, in Munich.
The sketches above are from the time I spent in Switzerland. Sibylle's family lived in a gorgeous 300-year old converted farmhouse on a hillside with a distant view of the Alps. Next door was an old one-room chapel.

Sibylle's middle-aged aunt, who's youthful appearance she credited to hiking the Alps , got excited when she saw my sketch of the cathedral in Bern, since it was where she had her Confirmation as a little girl.

No comments: