Friday, April 4, 2008

Venice/Florence, August '93


I spent about 5 days in Venice with my roommate Elizabeth who was there for the summer as part of her NYU Master's in painting (as well as being loved by the local Italian boys who all lived with their extended families - "A blonde American woman with her own apartment? Sign me up!").
Aside from visiting the Venice Biennale and various charming piazzas by day, I managed to get considerably drunk on grappa one night at a bar off San Marco's with some of Elizabeth's classmates. To this day I still don't know how I managed to stumble my way a half mile back through Venice's very dark and very confusing passageways to her place. Maybe had I been sober, I might be still wandering around its labyrinth.

The next day we set off for a day trip to Florence, albeit with a late start due to my hangover. When we arrived we discovered Florence's museums all close at 2 pm, about the time we arrived. The rest of the day was spent wandering and drinking several espressos til we got a train back. Good times.

No comments: