Friday, April 4, 2008

Switzerland to Avignon to Venice, August '93



After about 5 days in Switzerland, I piled into a small double engine plane with Sibylle's family to fly to their summer place in Avignon, France. With her father, Mr. Thomke, at the controls, I was given the honorary co-pilot seat. As depicted in the top image we passed directly over the Alps. When we got close to Mont Blanc, Mr. Thomke dipped the controls and the plane took a sudden diving arc down toward the mountain. As our stomachs rose against the g-forces, his normally stoic face broke out into a big child-like grin. The little black specs on the Mount's white face turn into climbers who waved to us. Sibylle later told me he never did that for anyone else.

I was a bit star-struck staying at their beautiful home in Avignon, since this was during a period when I was in love with the French film "Jean de Florette" (still one of my favorites), which was shot in the region.

After a few days getting very pink in the Mediterranean sun , I jumped on an overnight train to Venice. I remember feeling a bit proud of myself at Avignon's central station when a young Frenchman approached me, asking for directions in French. I got to bust out my only French at the time: "Je ne parles pas le francais", and was feeling rather smug at not being mistaken for a tourist.

No comments: